Thursday, June 9, 2016

Running and Writing

Running and writing are two things I can’t quit doing. Don’t let me. Running makes me feel better about myself. It gets the clutter and negative, clouding thoughts out. When I run, I am free. My mind is emptied of all the negative thoughts I shouldn’t be thinking. I drop them along the way and leave them there beside the road to wither. Go down any of my normal paths and you’ll see lots of bad stuff. Things like stupid, fat, ugly, fool, annoying, and complicated. You’ll see difficult, worthless, weird, not pretty, idiot, crybaby, average, and failure. All these and more, I drop along the side of the road. When I finish my run, I am free and ready to continue my day.     


Writing has the same effect but it happens in a different way. With writing, I deal with the thoughts. Instead of just getting rid of them, I sort them out; organize the whys and hows, the what-should-bes and find the truths. I put them down on paper. I erase and change and fix and ponder. I write some more, backspace, add, and keep writing. Why do I think this? When did I feel like that? What should I believe instead? I make sure my words say perfectly what I’m feeling and thinking and I set them free. Thoughts done. Mind clear. When I finish my writing, I am free and ready to continue my day.  




-Cynic Ninja