Monday, May 9, 2016

Burdens of Life

I was cleaning my room and listening to a radio sermon broadcast. It was about burdens and that everyone has their own in life. The past few weeks, I have been feeling the depression coming back on and it has been frustrating me. I was complaining to my fiancĂ© about it. Why am I like this? I don’t like that I’m made like this. I complained about this struggle of mine. I don’t want it. I wish I had a different struggle, a different burden. Anything. Or hey, even nothing at all. I’d be cool with that.    

David wrote in Psalm 119:25 and 28, “I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word…My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.” No one is exempt from burdens. Even David, as close as he was with God, experienced soul sorrow. He had burdens. He went to God with them. He asked for strength.


One line from the radio sermon today hit me. “The burdens of life are supposed to be bringing you to a deeper place of prayer.” Are these burdens given to us so that we run to Him? Depend on Him? How annoying is that? How frustrating! I’d like to think I’d run to Him on my own but apparently He doesn’t think so. He gives me this help, this reminder, in the form of a burden that I detest so much. My challenge today, for myself, is this: Don’t waste the opportunity your burdens bring. 




-Cynic Ninja