Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Did He


Stories of car wrecks and dead drivers haunt my dreams.
Reminding me of painful things I'd never wish to see. 
Making me wonder about details I shouldn't ponder.
Would it ease my heart to know or cause more pain if the truth is hard?

Thoughts come unbidden. 

Did he see the truck turn in front?
Did he hear the metal bending?
Did he perceive the tires skidding?
Did he feel the bones shatter?
Did he sense lungs filling with blood?
Did he struggle for a breath?
Did he see darkness coming for him?
Did he fight darkness or
                           did he welcome it, 
                                   knowing the escape it would bring?
Did he hear the prayers of a stranger?
Did he feel the touch of a hand?
Did he know that he was leaving?
Did he realize we would miss him?
Did he know I loved him?




-Cynic Ninja